Grandma's Old Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings.
Hey everyone, I hope you’re having an incredible day today. Today, we’re going to prepare a special dish, grandma's old fashioned chicken and dumplings. One of my favorites. For mine, I am going to make it a little bit tasty. This is gonna smell and look delicious.
Grandma's Old Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings is one of the most favored of current trending foods on earth. It is enjoyed by millions every day. It’s simple, it is fast, it tastes delicious. Grandma's Old Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings is something which I have loved my entire life. They’re nice and they look wonderful.
To get started with this particular recipe, we must first prepare a few ingredients. You can cook grandma's old fashioned chicken and dumplings using 13 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you can achieve it.
The ingredients needed to make Grandma's Old Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings:
- Prepare 1 of whole chicken ( 4 to 5 pound ).
- Take 1 medium of onion, chopped.
- Prepare 5 of bay leafs.
- Take 5 tbsp of salted butter.
- Make ready 1 1/2 tbsp of table salt, plus more to taste if desired.
- Take 1/2 tsp of ground black pepper or to taste.
- Take 3 cup of all-purpose flour.
- Get 1 1/2 tbsp of baking powder.
- Make ready 2 large of eggs, beaten.
- Make ready 3/4 cup of plus 2 tablespoons water.
- Take 1/2 cup of vegetable oil.
- Take 1/2 tsp of table salt.
- Make ready 1 of minced parsley or dried parsley flakes to garnish.
Instructions to make Grandma's Old Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings:
- Add enough water in stock pot to cover chicken..
- Add chicken, onions, bay leaves, butter, salt and pepper..
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until cooked fully and tender..
- When the chicken is cooked, remove from stock and put on cutting board or large bowl to cool. Leave stock in the pot..
- When chicken is cool enough to handle, pull chicken off the bone and discard the bones and skin..
- Cut the chicken into desired size and set aside..
- FOR THE DUMPLINGS:.
- Put the flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl whisk together until well combined..
- Add the oil to the flour mixture and stir o coat flour slightly, then add eggs and water. Mix just until combined..
- Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead until well mixed..
- Divide the dough in half. Roll the dough into a thin rectangle and cut into 1/2 inch strips. Repeat cross wise cutting to make squares. Repeat with remaining dough..
- Toss squares in flour to keep from sticking together..
- Bring the broth back to a rolling boil and shake off excess flour on the dumplings. Drop into boiling broth and reduce heat to a simmer, uncovered..
- Stir occasionally to keep from sticking and cook until dumpling are fully cooked. They will fluff up some, cook for about 20-25 minutes..
- Add the chicken to the pot about last 5 minutes of cooking. Serve hot with garnish of the parsley. Add more salt and pepper if needed..
So that’s going to wrap this up for this exceptional food grandma's old fashioned chicken and dumplings recipe. Thank you very much for your time. I am confident that you will make this at home. There is gonna be interesting food in home recipes coming up. Don’t forget to save this page on your browser, and share it to your loved ones, friends and colleague. Thank you for reading. Go on get cooking!