Tonkatsu or Katsu Curry.
Hey everyone, hope you’re having an incredible day today. Today, I’m gonna show you how to prepare a distinctive dish, tonkatsu or katsu curry. One of my favorites. For mine, I’m gonna make it a little bit unique. This will be really delicious.
Tonkatsu or Katsu Curry is one of the most popular of recent trending foods on earth. It’s enjoyed by millions daily. It is easy, it is fast, it tastes delicious. Tonkatsu or Katsu Curry is something which I have loved my whole life. They are nice and they look fantastic.
To get started with this particular recipe, we must first prepare a few components. You can cook tonkatsu or katsu curry using 21 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you can achieve it.
The ingredients needed to make Tonkatsu or Katsu Curry:
- Get of Sushi rice:.
- Prepare 2-3 cups of rice (use more or less).
- Prepare of For the breaded meat:.
- Take 1 box of pork loin (contains about 4-5 pieces) or 2 chicken breasts cut in half longways (to make 4 pieces).
- Make ready of Salt & pepper for seasoning.
- Get 1/2 cup of plain flour.
- Make ready 2 of large eggs beaten.
- Make ready 1 cup of panko (Japanese breadcrumbs).
- Take 4-5 cups of vegetable oil, for cooking the breaded meat.
- Take of For the vegetables:.
- Make ready 2 of carrots, sliced into rounds.
- Get 1 of medium onion, chopped into quarter slices.
- Make ready 6 of button mushrooms cut in half.
- Get 1 of broccoli florets, sliced in half or use mangetout sliced in half.
- Get 5 of small Maris Piper potatoes, sliced in half.
- Get of For the curry sauce:.
- Take 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
- Make ready 5 cups of boiled water (from kettle).
- Take 1 block of Japanese curry sauce (S&B Golden Curry Mix).
- Prepare of For garnish:.
- Get 1 tablespoon of black or white sesame seeds, sprinkle over rice (optional).
Steps to make Tonkatsu or Katsu Curry:
- Add the rice to the rice cooker. Wash and rinse it a few times until it is no longer cloudy. Cook the rice and leave it there until ready for serving..
- Peel and slice carrots into rounds 0.5cm. Peel the onions and cut into quarter slices. Cut the mushrooms and broccoli florets in half. Slice the potatoes into quarters and set the vegetables aside..
- Boil about 5 cups of water in a kettle to save time. On medium heat, in a medium sized sauce pan place the carrots and potatoes. Add the hot water enough to cover the vegetables and cook until soft. In a colander drain the vegetables and set the carrots and potatoes aside..
- On medium heat, add oil in a wok and let it heat up for about a minute. Place onions in wok and sauté the onions until it becomes translucent, then add the carrots and potatoes and stir. Cook it for about a minute. Now add broccoli or mangetout and mushrooms and then the hot water (from kettle) enough to cover the vegetables. Let it cook for another 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally..
- Add the block of the curry sauce (add more or less depending on preference). Let it simmer gently, turning down the heat to low for 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally from time to time to prevent sauce and vegetables from sticking and burning. Then turn off heat and set aside..
- In the meantime as the curry cooks, prepare the pork by pounding each lion piece one by one until 0.5cm thick. Season with salt & pepper (add as much or little as you like)..
- In two separate baking trays place the flour in one (season with a small amount of pepper & salt – optional) and in the other the panko breadcrumbs. In a bowl gently beat the eggs..
- Take a piece of pork lion (I used pork) or chicken breast and fully coat it all over in the flour on both sides. Dip into the egg and let any excess egg drip back into the bowl. Then place the pork in the panko breadcrumbs and cover the meat with it on both sides (including the edges). Place this on a large baking tray. Repeat the steps until all the pork has been used and set aside..
- In a wok or large pot add oil for shallow frying the breaded pork. On medium heat let the oil heat up. Drop a piece of panko breadcrumb into the oil. If it sizzles then the oil is ready. Place a piece of breaded meat into the wok. Let one side turn slightly golden brown before turning. Once brown turn over. Turn once more..
- When golden brown transfer onto kitchen paper placed on top of a plate or tray to allow the excess oil to drain. Repeat the process until all meat has been used..
- Place one breaded pork or chicken piece onto a chopping board. Cut into several slices (place remaining cooked meat in oven, on low temperature to keep warm) or leave whole. On a serving plate, add the rice, place the sliced meat next to it. Then ladle the curry sauce either on the side or on top of meat and rice (add as much or little as you wish). Garnish with sesame seeds (optional)..
So that is going to wrap this up for this special food tonkatsu or katsu curry recipe. Thanks so much for your time. I am sure you will make this at home. There’s gonna be more interesting food at home recipes coming up. Remember to bookmark this page in your browser, and share it to your family, friends and colleague. Thanks again for reading. Go on get cooking!