Spinach and ricotta fluffy pie. Ready in under an hour you can make it ahead and cook it when you need it. We love this spinach and ricotta pie with spring vegetables, and especially so because it's easy and requires no crust! It has a quintessentially Mediterranean flavor, and is very easy to make.
Spinach Ricotta Pie makes a yummy light dinner or amazing appetizer. I thought I would share this Spinach Ricotta Rustic Pie just before Easter as a lot of us will be serving a meatless Good Friday meal. In Italy when you talk Torta Rustica/Rustic Pie people usually have a Spinach Ricotta Pie in. You can cook Spinach and ricotta fluffy pie using 9 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Spinach and ricotta fluffy pie
- It’s 1 pack of puff pastry (approx. 250g/.5lb or more).
- You need 400 g of (approx. 1lb) fresh baby spinach.
- It’s 1 pack of ricotta cheese (.5lb).
- You need 2 of eggs.
- Prepare 2 of onions (white or red).
- You need pinch of a nutmeg (approx. 1/8 of a teaspoon).
- It’s 3 spoons of olive oil.
- It’s pinch of salt.
- You need pinch of black pepper.
Transfer greens into a mixing bowl. Add the eggs, ricotta and parsley and mix well until combined. Add chopped baby spinach and a generous handful of grated pecorino cheese. A frozen pie shell can be a great thing to have around, especially if there's little time to get dinner and you want something done quickly and done well.
Spinach and ricotta fluffy pie instructions
- Preheat the oven for 220°C (430F)..
- Unwrap the pastry and roll it on a flat surface. If needed, roll it with a rolling pin to match the size of your baking pan. Place the baking paper in your baking pan and cover with the pastry. Pull the edges up a bit – these will form the sides of the pie. Make few holes in the pie with a fork so that the dough is able to breath..
- Put the dough in the oven for approximately 15 minutes or until the pastry is goldenish. In case the dough makes bubbles, pierce it with the fork..
- While the dough is in the oven, prepare the spinach filling. Thoroughly wash the spinach leaves and let the dry. Cut the onion in the small cubes and sautee it in the pan on a fair amount of olive oil..
- Add spinach leaves, cover the pan and leave it for a while until it diminishes in volume..
- Once done, turn off the heat..
- Mix spinach and ricotta cheese in the bowl. Season with salt, pepper and a pinch of minced nutmeg..
- Cut the onions into slices and use the as a base layer on your baked pastry..
- Cover the onions with spinach and ricotta. Make two holes and fill them with eggs..
- Put back in the oven for another 10 – 15 minutes. I used grill function for this as it cooks the eggs faster. Once the eggs are cooked (or less cooked, if you prefer them being a little bit liquid), take out of the oven and let the pie to cool down for a minute or two. (If you use a grill function, watch the pie thoroughly… I didn't and it burnt on the side a little bit. 🙂 ).
- Serve and enjoy your wonderful meal. 🙂 I served the pie with a delicious pak choi salad – see my another recipe, which is easy peasy..
Combine ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese in large bowl. Spoon spinach mixture into pie crust. Add the spinach and cover for a few minutes until the spinach wilts. Remove the lid, stir and drain any excess liquid. Set aside to cool in a large bowl.